Private Lessons | Online Lessons | Workshops
“I’ve always wanted to play the harp!”
Playing the harp beautifully is a dream that all children and adults can achieve. The benefits of creating music include confidence, self-esteem and a fresh awareness of art and beauty.
Parents will find that sharing a love for music with their child will enrich their lives forever.
Therese Honey is a specialist in Celtic and Early harps, with a background in classical pedal harp. With a diverse private studio in the Houston area, she enjoys teaching both children and adults on pedal and lever harps. She frequently tours the United States as a clinician and adjudicator.
She began her harp studies with Houston Symphony harpist Beatrice Rose, with whom she studied for thirteen years. Therese has continued to further her harp skills by studying other noted harpists and at the Irish Music Summer School in Ireland, Amherst Early Music Workshop, Historical Harp Conference and the University of Houston. In 2008 Therese became a registered Suzuki Harp Teacher.
Therese teaches workshops and seminars on Medieval, Renaissance and Celtic repertoire, arranging and style, and Harp Ensemble. She is a dynamic teacher who inspires and motivates her students to develop strong musicianship skills and good harp technique in all styles of music. Her students learn about performance attitude and preparation, harp repertoire, the history of the harp, proper harp maintenance, and practical aspects of a music career.
In addition to weekly lessons at her Rice University area studio, Therese’s students participate in frequent performances including recitals, competitions, orchestra and harp ensemble.
The Houston Harp Studio has harps available for rent and will advise students on purchase of harps.
It’s never too late to learn, but sometimes it is difficult to find a teacher nearby. Online lessons using FaceTime or Skype are a great way to have a harp teacher by your side. Lessons are tailored for each individual student, with both short and long term goals. In addition to classical pedal harp, Therese offers lessons in Medieval Harp, Renaissance Bray Harp and Celtic Harp.
- Harp technique
- Chords, arpeggios, scales
- Arranging hymns, folk music, Medieval and Renaissance music
- Learning tunes by ear
- Ornamentation in traditional Irish and Scottish music
- Music theory basics every harpist should know
- Professional development
- Performance anxiety
Introductory lesson for first-time students:
If you’d like to try out a lesson, send an email with:
- What times are best for you on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, including your time zone
- Sunday lesson times are occasionally available
- What level or how long you’ve been playing the harp (and other musical background)
- The name of the piece you are preparing
- Specific area to focus on at this lesson
- 15 minute introductory lesson/$15
- 25 minute lesson/$30
- 55 minute lesson/$60
- Pay with PayPal, monthly before the first lesson of the month
- Lessons can be weekly or bi-weekly
- Current students who recommend a new student get a free lesson
- 48-hour advance notice is required to get full credit for a missed lesson
Recommendations for students:
- Method for the Harp by Maria Grossi is my favorite technique book. If you already have a book of technical exercises it is not necessary to immediately purchase this one.
- Beginning children will use the Suzuki Harp Book & CD, Volume 1.
- A notebook/tablet to take notes during the lesson.
- Students may record lessons for their personal use. Do not post the private lessons on YouTube, Facebook, or other public forum.
- Daily practice makes it easier to play! Plan on warming up immediately before your Skype lesson and practice further right after to solidify your new knowledge. Since you won’t be needing the time to drive to and from a lesson, this is a great opportunity to work on the music while the ideas are fresh.
Medieval and Renaissance
- Introduction to Medieval Music, Medieval Style & Improvisation
- Medieval Improvisation & Composition
- Cantigas de Santa Maria
- Arranging Renaissance Dances for Harp
Irish and Scottish Traditional
- Turlough O’Carolan
- Traditional Irish & Scottish Dance Music & Ornamentation
- Traditional Aires
- Edward Bunting & the Harp Competition of 1792
- 17th & 18th Century Scottish Music
- Left Hand Toolbox – Accompaniment Patterns with Gusto!
- Technique: What’s the Point?
- Overs & Unders: Creating Seamless Scales
- Big Fat Chords
- Harmonics & Glisses That Shine
- Beautiful Arpeggios
- On the Road Again, with Your Lap Harp!
- Professional Development
- Harp Ensemble
- Performing at a Renaissance Festival
Workshop Teaching Credits
High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
Historical Harp Society
Somerset Harp Festival
Bay Area Folk Harp Society
North Texas Irish Festival
Washington Area Folk Harp Society
Stone Mountain Highland Games
National Scottish Harp Society Championship
Texas Highland Games
Gulf Coast Harpers Regional Conference
International Society for Folk Harpers and Craftsmen, Inc.
American Harp Society Southwest Regional Conference
Dusty Strings Harp Symposium, Seattle, WA
Santa Fe, NM Harp Society
Summer Acoustic Music Festival
Beginning in the Middle Adult Harp Workshop
Amherst Early Music Workshop
Great Lakes Harpers, Contest and Workshop
Louisville, KY Harp Society
Music for Healing and Transition Program
O’Flaherty’s Irish Music Retreat